Myth of the Hymen, dodsonandross.com
One of the reasons I wanted to share this was to show the sexualized violence around language of female sexuality. There is no “breaking,” “popping” or otherwise of the hymen— and you don’t lose it, it stays with you your whole life!
So if you’re worried about having penetrative sex for the first time because you think “breaking the hymen” will hurt—relax!
- Use PLENTY of lube (water based with condoms!), even if you think you don’t need it.
- Use condoms, dental dams, or latex gloves (unless you have an allergy to latex, then use non-latex alternatives) with appropriate (Water-based) lube. I always try to get lube without glycerin or parabens because I have sensitive skin and am prone to yeast infections.
- Go SLOWLY and listen to what your body is telling you.
- Masturbate and get comfortable with your own body and sex will be a lot better than if you have no idea what gets you off.
- Don’t rush into it the first time (or even the first few times).
- Sex should be pleasurable. Take your time and experiment with fingers, tongues, and toys.
- Use lube (I cannot stress this enough!)
- Relax and have fun with your partner. Otherwise, what’s the point of having sex?